Content, strategy and updates to the website
The client offers award-winning budget accommodation to backpackers and travellers, across multiple locations in Sri Lanka.
I planned and created content as part of a content marketing strategy with the aim of reaching a wider audience, driving more
traffic to the client’s website, and to also get more engagement from the client’s existing followers on social media and website
I researched and wrote fifteen blog posts as part of the content strategy. These aimed to answer various questions travellers had
about visiting Sri Lanka and provide useful information to tourists.
The blog posts were optimised to rank for related search terms in search engines and drive traffic to the client’s website. They had
the added advantage of engaging other visitors to the client’s website and driving engagement and time spent on the site.
I also curated and edited the images that appear in these posts.
You can read the posts at hangoverhostels.com/news-and-blogs
Social media posts
I designed and created around 180 pieces of content, using photographs supplied by the client and other royalty-free stock photos
that I found online. I also scheduled and posted each piece of content across four social media channels, together with appropriate
captions and hashtags.
I researched, wrote and produced a short ebook for the client to offer to their email subscribers as a ‘thank you’ for signing up to their
email newsletter. I also designed the cover and interior.
Upgrades to the website
The client had a well-designed website that was bringing in a good amount of traffic.
I proposed and added the following features to help improve the functionality of the site and get a better return from this asset:
- Installed analytics to help the client keep track of the number of visitors to the site, the sources of this traffic and understand their behaviour on the site.
- Helped client tie-in the analytics with their booking engine (a partner site that handled the bookings for them) so they could keep track of the number of visitors who actually completed bookings from their website.
- Optimised the images on the site to speed up the website.
- Introduced added security to protect against malicious activity.
- Introduced regular backups of the site and contents.
- Added pop-ups and banners with click-through actions as per the client’s requirements to drive engagement.
Digital marketing strategy
I conducted an audit of the client’s website and social media channels and made proposals to improve audience
reach and engagement. Among other things, I advised client and helped with the following items:
- Creating a content marketing strategy (blogging and social media)
- Improving onsite SEO with blog posts that targeted relevant keywords
- Building an email list of website visitors and former guests
- Creating a blog to RSS campaign to automatically send new blog posts and announcements to email subscribers